domenica 14 marzo 2021

Springy Van Nicholas

I am not using my VN since ages, probably more than a year - not that I don't like it actually. 
So, a month ago I decided to take it apart, clean and lube it. While cleaning the stuff up, I noted that the crankset - old Ultegra from late 90's, was unacceptably scratched and the axle too worn. 
And this is how it started, ending up like: 2021-02-28_11-42-45 

I had this Truvativ cranckset since ages. I think I used for a very short period (like: one single ride) on mostly all my frames. With a little help from Amazon, I bought a 42 narrow wide chainring, and this is how it started. The old chain was worn to what I think was the limit (.50mm), I used it a lot when riding in Dublin and is very understandable that it's time is over. 
Thankfully  the cassette is still very good, so I kept the SLX 11-36 10 speed. Paul Components still sits on my bar to help pushing a Dura Ace bar end shifter. 

 I wanted to have something... different actually. That's why I went for a flat bar, but not that flat after all. I used a very long (130mm) stem with a Ritchey WCS riser upside down. This gives to the bike a lower position than a standard bar, in between that and a drop: 2021-02-28_11-42-02 

and

2021-02-28_11-42-20 

I know, I could have done it with hydraulic disc brakes, and this is actually where I want to go, but I am not yet that comfortable in bleeding the system. You see that the frame has closed eyelets, so I need to empty the brake system (if not new), and then bleed it again. I don't feel myself ready for this step!

To complete this setup I used KCNC bar ends (old NOS set I had with me since years) and Avid Black Ops levers. Again, these levers I bought probably around 2012 were sitting in my shed never mounted. I getting a bit... upset of having something and not using it, that's also another reason I went for mechanical brakes. 
I finished the bar with a yellow bar tape. I know, it's recycled, probably used 3 or more times, but then again you see how very good was Boardman bar tape! 

I also decided to swap the original fork (Kinesis carbon fork, disc only) with an old MTB titanium one. Axle to crown should be around 415mm, not really the original length, but it makes the geometry a bit more relaxed and probably closer to modern gravel bike. 

I tried this bike twice and I am having very good impression of the overall setup. This frame is very springy and comfortable, even though I have a very heavy and stiff wheelset.

I am wondering whether I should buy a newer and lighter wheelset... 

c

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento